Sunday, November 27, 2011

GINGERBREAD, HUBBY STYLE



Last weekend was my birthday and as always my wonderful husband makes my day especially special. I awoke to kitchen sounds, despite his attempt to be quiet. I heard clanging measuring spoons, a mixer on low speed...quiet, quiet, a general bustling and rising excitement wafted into my room. To my surprise, my hubby was making one of my favorite recipes just for me, gingerbread. It turned out delicious despite his lack of experience with baking. I was so pleased and would have been even if it had flopped. I am truly blessed with a great husband and, believe me, I know it.
Here is the recipe for you, in case you decide you'd like to surprise someone special on any day. Have fun!

GINGERBREAD

1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup boiling water
optional:
1 tsp grated orange zest
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter with sugar and molasses. Mix in egg. Sift dry ingredients and add to wet mixture, alternating with water, until just combined, fold in optional ingredients. Bake in greased 9 inch square pan for 40 minutes. Cool.

To top it! yes, that may be considered a pun if you need.....I made the whipped cream topping:
8 oz cold whipping cream, whip in a clean, clean mixer on high speed
Add:
1/3 cup sugar and 1 jigger Gran Marnier or other orange liqueur. Whip until peaked. Store extra in fridge-great for topping coffee with.


ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment