Sunday, November 27, 2011

CRANBERRY FRUIT CONSERVE, MY WAY.



For Thanksgiving this year, I gave this recipe of Ina Garten's a try; of course, I changed it a bit for two reasons: 1) I have to be in control just a bit and 2) everything can be improved upon. I think I did improve it quite a bit and wanted to share my version with you. I doubled this. I love cranberries and they rank right up there with blueberries for nutritional qualities. I hope you give it a try for Christmas perhaps. It stores wonderfully in the refrigerator to enjoy with everything from a bowl of cereal, a turkey sandwich, to a cup of greek yogurt....be adventurous with your taste buds!


Ingredients: I doubled everything, excepted noted.

  • 1 (12-ounce) bag of fresh cranberries, cleaned
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar (this I did not double, cranberries should taste like cranberries, not candy!)
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 1 orange, zest grated and juiced (if doubling the recipe, use juice of 1 orange and peel and chop the second orange)
  • 1 lemon, zest grated and juiced
  • 3/4 cup raisins, soaked in 1 jigger orange liqueur (I used Gran Marnier.)
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions

Cook the cranberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the skins pop open. Add the apple, zests, and juices, drain the orange liqueur from the raisins-add it, and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat and add the raisins and nuts. Let cool, and serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment