Monday, September 28, 2009

LOVE and QUICHE...



My husband prepared brunch for me at his house on our second date. I drove from Denver up high into the mountains to his lovely home on a most gorgeous fall day. When I got there, he had prepared for us fresh fruit, fresh orange juice, and homemade, he made, quiche. I was delighted and it was delicious. After filling our bellies we set out for a hike and the exchange of good conversation. He was a very attractive man, and I should say still is, but I was a bit jaded about guys at the time and it would take more to impress me. No doubt the quiche was good, the hike was lovely, but it wasn't until I was leaving that I really saw him, that I was interested in him. The simplest act can reveal one's true character; as he walked me out to my car he noticed my front license plate was hanging by one screw, he grabbed a screwdriver, climbed under the front bumper, down in the dirt and fixed it without even a second thought. Then he had my attention, and kept it, we were married 8 months later. We are still together after 13 years and when I need him, he is always ready to help. If I'm lucky, he makes the quiche!
I'm not saying this will work for all of you looking to win your love over, but there is conclusive evidence! Starting with the quiche is a good idea.

This recipe takes time, but is simple and it makes a lot, so you can keep it in the fridge and get a few meals out of it. (This also presents well when inviting friends over for dinner or breakfast.)


Crustless Spinach Quiche:

6 scallions, chopped or 1/2 onion chopped
2 jalapenos minced (optional)
2 tspfuls minced garlic
1/2 medium sized red bell pepper chopped (optional)
1 lb baby spinach leaves, or chopped mature spinach leaves

Saute in olive oil first 4 ingredients until tender, add spinach, turn heat down and allow moisture to cook off, this will take several minutes.

In the meantime, in a bowl combine the following:
7 eggs beaten with 1 Tablespoon cream
1 lb Muenster cheese shredded
1/2 lb smoked Gouda shredded
8 oz sliced cremini or button mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1 can, 8 oz or 16 oz, canned Salmon, drained, picked over, flaked, (optional-I often opt out on this ingredient, personal preference, but it is a nice change at times and makes much more of a complete meal if added.)

Combine skillet mixture with egg mixture and blend. Pour into 2 qt capacity round casserole dish prepped with cooking spray, (bottom and sides.) Spread evenly in pan, bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 mins, check center with fork or toothpick for wetness; quiche will continue to cook a bit after removing from oven so a little bit of wetness on fork is desired, use your best judgment here. Allow to cool a bit before serving or refrigerate and serve later chilled.
This is fantastic alone, or served with fruit or a salad.

Remember, it's just food; Have Fun! and Enjoy.
--Victoria

2 comments:

  1. Chicken photo credit: http://www.dianevarner.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice story about your husband. He may just be "ONE of THE GUYS!!!"

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete