Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ceramic Sculpture Healing!

I am excited and honored to be fortunate enough to have my first gallery exhibition coming up next month for my ceramic sculpture. Blessed am I to have developed artistic abilities after having suffered a traumatic brain injury a few years back. Prior to this injury, I was not, in the least, artistic. I have no formative artistic education and cannot to this day draw a figure form. Following my accident, I struggled to read, follow directions, follow a movie plot, or manage a conversation, but I could count on my mind to stay with me whenever I picked up a paintbrush in those early years. About 8 years ago, I was invited to take a clay class and there I learned some fundamentals about clay and I learned to throw clay on the wheel. It wasn't until just a little over a year ago that I found myself in a clay sculpture class and that is when everything began to change for me. Expressing my experiences in sculpture has allowed me to "re-experience" the losses, traumas, and joys in ways in which I am in control and that frees me to choose the outcome. Freeing it is to be in control. I am lucky to have found this path, to have met those who guided me along the way, and to be open and brave enough to follow.
My gallery exhibit opening is June 22 and will be on exhibit until July 27th at The Dairy Center for the Arts, 2590 Walnut Street, Boulder, CO.

I would love to share my work with you all, my healing work!

Here is a few photos of my work waiting for the salt firing....





No comments:

Post a Comment